What a great ornament for the kids to make. Super easy to! Salt dough ornaments have been around forever but Ithink this is a nice spin on the traditional. Great DIY on a snow day. These could be used for gift tags too.
Here it goes:
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Make the salt dough (recipe below) and roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a glass cut out circles for ornaments.
- Use a straw a cut out a hole for ribbon to hang.
- Place on aluminum foil lined baking sheets.
- Have the kids make fingerprint or thumbprint indents.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let the ornaments cool completely.
- Using a Sharpie black marker outline each fingerprint like a Christmas light. Connect all the “light” with a curly line for the cord.
- I used Crayola markers to color in each “light” but you could easily use paint, or watercolors.
- Let dry completely and thread with a ribbon for hanging.
Recipe for salt dough
1 cup salt
2 cups flour
1/2 cup warm water
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.